Oh spinach, how I love thee – no really I do! I was first introduced to these delicious bite sized squares as ‘Spinach Brownies’ by a former supervisor during a team potluck and I immediately fell in love. Of course one of my first thoughts was ‘brownies’?!?!? Where’s the fudgy chocolate?!?! Call them Spinach Brownies or Spinach Squares, all the same they are one of the BEST finger food items ever. If you’re looking for a super simple and quick appetizer, potluck dish, breakfast or lunch idea, you MUST these easy and delicious Cheesy Spinach Squares/Savory Spinach Brownies!
Cheesy Spinach Squares
Author: Chika of Borrowed Delights
- 1 10oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded marble cheese – can use swiss, cheddar, or mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8 x 11 inch baking dish.
- Place flour, salt, pepper and baking powder into a bowl, and mix to combine. Stir in eggs, butter, milk.
- Add spinach, cheese, and diced onion. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Removed from stove and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve!