Easy no bake Chocolate Pot de Creme
My Chocolate Pots de Creme is must make recipe for any and every chocolate lover you know, especially yourself!
An incredibly light french custard, Chocolate Pots de Creme, or simply Pots de Creme is traditionally made by preparing your custard, then baking it in a water bath and then allowing it to chill. What you end up with is an airy mousse-like custard. For my recipe, I’ve chosen to skip out on baking my custard and simply allowing it to chill once made. Although you do not achieve the exact same airy texture, my Chocolate Pots de Creme is super smooth and light. This recipe is perfect for date night, family dinner or any special occasion! It is so simple to prepare and can be done a day in advance – who doesn’t like a simple overnight dessert recipe? I know I do! Recipe demonstration below, and remember sharing is caring!
- 1 ¼ cup half and half, or heavy cream
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 pinch Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Fresh Whipped Cream, For Serving
- Place egg and half and half into a medium sized saucepan and mix, using wired whisk, until thoroughly combined.
- Turn stove on to medium low heat and cook custard, stirring continuously using wooden spoon, until it thickens and coats back wooden spoon – about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off stove, and add chocolate chips, cinnamon, salt, instant coffee and vanilla. Stir continuously until chocolate is completely and fully melted.
- Pour chocolate custard through sieve into a measuring cup or mixing bowl – this allows any particles of cooked egg, if any, to be removed from custard.
- Portion custard evenly amongst serving bowls or cups – you can use ramekins, wine glasses, teacups, etc.
- Place serving bowls into fridge for at least 2 to 3 hours, or overnight, to allow custard to set.
- Garnish with unsweetened whipped cream and dusting of cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar or chocolate shavings.