Light and fluffy cake that melts in your mouth like cotton candy = Chiffon Cake
If you’ve never had chiffon cake, you’re missing out! I love the incredible texture of chiffon cakes – light, fluffy and melts in your mouth like cotton candy. I know a few people who have really been intimidated in making a chiffon cake, but really they are super simple and easy to make. For my Lemon Chiffon Cake you combine your egg yolks with the sugar, milk and oil and beat on high for about two minutes until the mixture is pale in color and thick. Next you stir in all the dry ingredients. Once that’s combined you can start preparing your egg whites by beating them on high until they start to foam and then slowly add your reserved sugar and beat until you egg whites are thick and glossy, this step usually takes 5-10 minutes. Once that’s ready simply fold your egg whites into your egg yolk mixture and pour batter into your baking pan and bake! See full recipe demonstration below!
Lemon Chiffon Cake
Author: Chika of Borrowed Delights
- 3 eggs at room temperature, separated
- ½ cups sugar
- 1½ cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup milk
- juice and zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325. DO NOT GREASE BAKING PAN
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and then set aside.
- In a small bowl stir ¼ cup sugar and lemon zest to combine.
- Place egg yolks, sugar and zest into a bowl and whisk to combine, until mixture is thick and pale in color. About 2 minutes
- Add lemon juice, oil, milk, and vanilla, to egg and sugar mixture. Stir to fully combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine and until batter is smooth.
- Place egg whites into the bowl of a standing mixer and add a pinch of salt. Beat egg whites on medium high speed for about 2 minutes – whites should begin to foam.
- Begin slowly adding your remaining ¼ cup of sugar, about a table spoon at a time. Once all the sugar has been added continue mixing until you have medium stiff peaks. Total mixing time can take between 5-10 minutes. Egg whites should be glossy.
- Add one third of egg whites to your batter and stir to combine.
- Add remaining egg whites and gently fold into batter until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into UNGREASED baking pan – angel food pan or springform pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean and cake is springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and turn cake pan upside down to cool completely - at least 30 minutes
- Run knife along edges, bottom and center of baking pan to release cake.
- Serve and enjoy!