How to make the perfect Red Velvet Cupcakes!
I am so happy to have the opportunity to share my recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes!! I mean who doesn’t love Red Velvet cupcakes?
Well actually I be honest I used to not like them, that is until I started making them myself! I remember the first time I had Red Velvet cupcakes and they had such a strong bitter, metallic taste to them, in addition to a really gross aftertaste – yuck! I think way too much food coloring was added – no doubt about that. From that time forward I always deviated away from Red Velvet, and then one day I was asked to make Red Velvet cupcakes for my Aunt who was hosting a baby shower for a co-worker.
Well, then began the recipe testing, upon recipe testing, until I came up with Red Velvet Cupcake recipe that I fell in love with! For my food coloring I use gel food coloring, because a little goes such a long way. Instead of using close to a full bottle of liquid food coloring, for my recipe I only 1 teaspoon of gel food coloring. These cupcakes are so incredibly moist, not too sweet – my signature way of making sweet treats, and they couldn’t be any easier to make! Frost them using my 3 Ingredient Cream Cheese Frosting, my Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting or my Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting!
To make these cupcakes, I place all of my dry ingredients into a mixing bowl
And the mix them together to fully combine and then set aside
In my stand mixer I combine wet ingredients and mix them until fully combined
Next I add my dry ingredients to my wet ingredients and combine them on the lowest setting of my mixer
I pour ¼ cup of batter into each of my cupcake liner
And then bake the cupcakes until they are fully cooked and springy to the touch
Once fully cooled, they’re ready to be frosted!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red food gel
- Preheat oven to 325. Place cupcake liners in muffin tray and set aside.
- Place flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into medium sized bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place oil, buttermilk,eggs and sugar into the bowl of standing mixer. Mix to combine.
- Add hot water, vinegar, vanilla and food gel. Stir to fully combine.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Using a ¼ measure cup, fill each cupcake liner.
- Baked cupcakes in preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean and cupcakes are springy to the touch.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and transfer to wired rack and allow to cool completely before frosting with your favorite cream cheese frosting